Friday, August 9, 2013

shut up!

O.K. So, I have something to tell you and you may not like it at first... but stay with me because it is important. Are you ready? Alright, here it goes....

SHUT UP!

No really, SHUT UP!!!

That is the message the Lord has been teaching me when I start to think about Him, approach Him, speak about Him, pray before Him.... HIM!!! The Almighty God! The King of Kings! The One overseeing all the events of this entire Universe! The Creator of Heaven and Earth who has stationed all-seeing angels around His throne proclaiming His glory at every moment... day and night, "Holy holy holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." (How many times have they said it since you began reading this blog? How many times have they said it since you got up this morning? How many times have they said it since the day you were conceived?)

Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under his wings. Day and night they never stop saying: "Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come." (Revelation 4:8)

He is GOD in Heaven... and here am I on earth. Me. I'm nothing in comparison to Him. I'm a speck... one soul in the history of mankind. Yet, He loves me... individually. But who am I compared to His excellence? Read Psalm 8 with me:

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens. From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger. When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? You made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You made him ruler over the works of your hands; you put everything under his feet: all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas. O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!

If I was flying over the earth in an airplane and looking down, my vantage point would not allow me to see the millions of people going about their day. People would appear as small as microbes and I'm sure my human eyes could not even distinguish them from the landscape visible through the clouds. Now think about God. His throne is in Heaven. Yet, He sees and knows the happenings of each and every person. He knows the direction that every drop of blood flows in our veins. He knows the thoughts and desires we each wish for. He is present in all our lives and is actively with us each moment of every day. We cannot come close to seeing and comprehending all that God is and the goodness and holiness He majestically exudes as He oversees the atmosphere of every planet, the birth of every species, the position of every grain of sand carpeting the ocean floor.

Think about it... If you were face-to-face with Almighty JEHOVAH and could physically see Him today for all He is, wouldn't you be speechless? Wouldn't awe just take over? Wouldn't your mouth drop to the floor and wouldn't you suddenly be without words? In fact, wouldn't YOU just drop to the floor face down in reverence before the One who breathed life into your nostrils and formed you in your mothers womb? He is the One who spoke everything into existence! I encourage you to really think about this. Then, think about how you have been addressing Him... how you approach Him... how frequently you seek Him... what you say to Him... what you say about Him... how you represent Him. Are you giving Him the reverence He deserves? If not, why not?

Who will not fear you, O Lord, and bring glory to your name? For you alone are holy. All nations will come and worship before you, for your righteous acts have been revealed." (Revelation 15:4)

For me, to consider GOD as He is, is sooooo humbling. Yet, in my day-to-day selfishness, I still forget to consider Him with reverence. I become distracted and ruled by my own desires. I become spiritually short-sighted and usually find myself rattling off all sorts of nonsense and greediness when I approach Him, rather than SHUTTING UP! It is an ongoing prayer for me to live deliberately, obediently, respectfully, diligently while keeping my mind centered around HIS GLORY. How foolish I am... for what on earth could possibly be more important in my life than concentrating on God? Tell me, really? What could I possibly need or desire over Him? And what could I loosely say to Him that He doesn't already know or isn't already in control of? He made everything! He knows everything! He rules everything!

The truly amazing part is this... He still wants me to come to Him! He wants me to love Him. He wants me to live my life with Him and relate to Him. I am so dear to God that He gives me the choice to follow Him... or not. How awesome and gracious is my Master? How tremendous and unending is the love of my Father? So why not let my Redeemer manage my voice. Let my Savior rule my tongue. Let my King be pleased with my speech.

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (1 John 2:1)

I don't know about you, but I am determined to remain mindful in Him to keep myself from falling into the trap of viewing God as some imaginary, unseen wish-granter. Not because He doesn't want me to have everything... No, I am just aware that I frequently approach His throne more like a spoiled, selfish child rather than a focus, faithful woman who has shown up to meditate on WHO HE IS rather than what I want. I must daily listen to His call and learn His word rather than push my way before Him to speak. Listening and absorbing God's word is more important than any sentence I could utter. So, I'm prayerful to focus on the reverence I give to the ONE who has blessed me with another hour of life this very day! When I am deliberate to remain in His presence, I am then able to speak wisely while looking through His eternal eyes.

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. (Proverbs 31:26)

Ladies, I challenge each DW (myself included) to make a point to stop and worship Him first before opening our chatty mouths. Let's remember to show thanks to HE WHO IS WORTHY OF ALL PRAISE before blurting out routine, self-centered prayers such as, "Dear Lord, please do this or that for me. Please give me all the things I think I should have, in the time I think I should have them, in the ways I want them. Please get me out of this jam or that problem and center this whole universe around me me me me me me me me me me me me me!" Ugh. Ladies, let's just SHUT UP!

Stand in awe. Take in WHO He is. Consider His glory. Then speak with the wisdom He has given through the power of His Holy Spirit.

But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. (Jude 1:20)

Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few. (Ecclesiastes 5:2)

My mouth will speak words of wisdom; the utterance from my heart will give understanding. (Psalm 49:3)

My mouth will speak in praise of the LORD. Let every creature praise his holy name for ever and ever. (Psalm 145:21
)

Blessings!

~Victoria 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you lord for humbling Victoria & for allowing her to to be humble in front of us. You are a wonderful witness! LOVE you sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange enough, this has been the constant message I've been getting for three days. The Pastor's sermon on the radio, the prayer from a DJ, a devotional I'm reading, and now this! Thank you for your honesty, and faithfulness in sharing this message! God Bless you Victoria; may this devotional and the scriptures herein be carved into mine and each heart who reads them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a blessing to me to read this today. I too need to shut up and always rest in the arms of the Lord, take into my heart His words, let the Holy Spirit have control. Praise the Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely put...."rest in the arms of the Lord". Rest in his words and just let them sink in and be GLAD! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very good and healthy post i think. Good to write and share about. Have a great writing and have a great readership. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © | All Rights Reserved

All articles and content posted to this website are protected by the copyright laws of the United States (17 U.S.C. 101 et seq.) and similar laws in other countries. No part of this website may be used in whole or in part without prior written consent of Victoria Anderson.

© Copyright | All Rights Reserved Victoria Anderson | The Devoted Woman

Translate This Page...